Tuesday, December 17, 2013

character, setting, and important events

During our Readers' Workshop we have been talking about character, setting, and important events in a story. These important story elements lend themselves to greater comprehension of text. Students are doing a phenomenal job at grasping these concepts. This morning I read aloud Chester and the Big Bad Bully and we completed a story map together. This afternoon I read aloud Harry and the Lady Next Door and students completed a story map individually by drawing pictures with just a little support. I then conferenced with students so they could tell me about their pictures. Tomorrow I will be reading a different book aloud for students to complete a story map on their own. This will give me an idea of what to teach next and who needs more time with these skills. When reading with your child, be sure to stop and ask who is in the story, where does the story take place, and what are some important things that happen in the story. Students are becoming familiar with the language of character, setting, and important events. You may be amazed by their skill level!

No comments:

Post a Comment